Peter Xu <pet...@redhat.com> writes:

> On Mon, Jul 22, 2024 at 02:59:05PM -0300, Fabiano Rosas wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> In this v2 I took Peter's suggestion of keeping the channels' pointers
>> and moving only the extra slot. The major changes are in patches 5 and
>> 9. Patch 3 introduces the structure:
>>
>> typedef enum {
>>     MULTIFD_PAYLOAD_NONE,
>>     MULTIFD_PAYLOAD_RAM,
>> } MultiFDPayloadType;
>>
>> struct MultiFDSendData {
>>     MultiFDPayloadType type;
>>     union {
>>         MultiFDPages_t ram;
>>     } u;
>> };
>>
>> I added a NONE type so we can use it to tell when the channel has
>> finished sending a packet, since we'll need to switch types between
>> clients anyway. This avoids having to introduce a 'size', or 'free'
>> variable.
>
> This at least looks better to me, thanks.
>

>> WHAT'S MISSING:
>>
>> - The support for calling multifd_send() concurrently. Maciej has this
>>   in his series so I didn't touch it.
>>
>> - A way of adding methods for the new payload type. Currently, the
>>   compression methods are somewhat coupled with ram migration, so I'm
>>   not sure how to proceed.
>
> What is this one?  Why compression methods need new payload?  Aren't they
> ram-typed?

The data we transport is MultiFDPages_t, yes, but the MultiFDMethods are
either nocomp, or the compression-specific methods
(e.g. zlib_send_prepare).

How do we add methods for the upcoming new payload types? I don't expect
us to continue using nocomp and then do "if (ram)... else if
(device_state) ..." inside of them. I would expect us to rename
s/nocomp/ram/ and add a new set of MultiFDMethods for the new data type
(e.g. vfio_send_prepare, vmstate_send_prepare, etc).

multifd_nocomp_ops -> multifd_ram_ops // rename
multifd_zlib_ops   // existing
multifd_device_ops // new

The challenge here is that the current framework is nocomp
vs. compression. It needs to become ram + compression vs. other types.

>> - Moving all the multifd ram code into multifd-ram.c after this^ is
>>   sorted out.
>>
>> CI run: https://gitlab.com/farosas/qemu/-/pipelines/1381005020
>>
>> v1:

(1)

>> https://lore.kernel.org/r/20240620212111.29319-1-faro...@suse.de
>>
>> First of all, apologies for the roughness of the series. I'm off for
>> the next couple of weeks and wanted to put something together early
>> for your consideration.
>
> PS: I assume this is old content, or I'll envy you on how frequent you can
> take days off!..

That't the v1 cover letter (1). I don't like to post v2 with "here's
what changed" without having the previous cover-letter at hand for
referencing.