Peter Maydell <peter.mayd...@linaro.org> writes:

> On Mon, 12 Aug 2024 at 12:10, Alex Bennée <alex.ben...@linaro.org> wrote:
>>
>> Peter Maydell <peter.mayd...@linaro.org> writes:

<snip>

>> > Hmm, not sure why that didn't get caught by my local testing
>> > or by my gitlab run -- does it only get run on an aarch64 host?
>>
>> It will depend what your local GDB is like - a modern gdb-multiarch
>> should be fine but we do test for a minimum version to be able to probe
>> the supported architectures.
>
> Mmm, I found that a local "make check-tcg" does catch this for me,
> so I guess the answer is "the gdb on the non aarch64 host CI jobs
> is too old and/or we missed the coverage, and I forgot to run
> this in my local checkout".
>
> Why doesn't "make check" run "check-tcg" as a sub-test ?
> Having it be separate is asking for people to forget to
> run it, I think.

I think historically because not everyone cared about TCG testing and
you need to either setup docker or have cross compilers on your system.
Obviously we know this is the case when we run check-tcg in the CI.

We could certainly include it in the main "check" set if you want.

--
Alex Bennée
Virtualisation Tech Lead @ Linaro