On 8/19/24 17:50, Andrew Jones wrote:
I agree we should deprecate the invalid DT usage, with the goal of only
generating DTs that make the validator happy. I'm not sure how long that
deprecation period should be, though. It may need to be a while since
we'll need to decide when we've waited long enough to no longer care
about older kernels.

This is the kind of thing versioned machine models are good for.

For instance, for the next release define virt-9.1 and virt-9.2.
Set strict-dt in virt-9.2 and reset it in virt-9.1.

C.f. hw/arm/virt.c, where virt_machine_8_2_options invokes virt_machine_9_0_options and then adjusts for backward compatibility.

r~