On Fri, 27 Sep 2024 20:29:19 +0200
David Hildenbrand <da...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 27.09.24 20:20, Halil Pasic wrote:

> > Frankly, I would prefer making Documentation/virt/kvm/s390/s390-diag.rst
> > the authoritative documentation on DIAGs.
> >
> > My train of thought is DIAG 500 is a KVM thing, and KVM is a linux
> > kernel thing, so it just feels right for the documentatio to
> > live within the linux source tree.
>
> QEMU/TCG is the proof that KVM is not necessarily involved.
>
> Are you sure that no other OS out there besides Linux implements virtio
> on s390x, or would want to implement it? :)

As Christian has pointed out in another thread DIAG 500 is documented
as the KVM hypervisor call, and that made me argue it is a KVM thing.

You are right KVM is not necessarily involved, and neither is QEMU. For
me it is not about the components involved in the visualization, but
about the people, projects and governance.

IMHO this is basically extending the s390 architecture. We are guaranteed
to not collide with the Architecture because DIAG 500 is reserved for
KVM as a project I guess.

> > I may have missed some of the discussion: what were the benefits
> > of having this in its separate project/repository?
>
> Having it independent of the implementation.

That is a valid point. But IMHO the benefit of having this independent,
does not justify the churn of having a separate project with its
own governance, and communication infrastructure. And I suppose for an
open(?) specification, one would need those things.

No strong opinions though. If Christian, Janosch and Claudio are in
favor of a separate "Specifications for open-source virtualization on
s390x (IBM z Systems)" project, I'm fine with it as well.

Regards,
Halil