Warner Losh <i...@bsdimp.com> writes:

> On Thu, Oct 3, 2024 at 2:53 AM Warner Losh <i...@bsdimp.com> wrote:
>
>  On Thu, Sep 26, 2024 at 8:24 AM Alex Bennée <alex.ben...@linaro.org> wrote:
>
>  One output from this discussion should be a clear statement that we are
>  going forward with this work and the road map. A rough roadmap might
>  look like:
>
>    - 9.2   --enable-rust is available and developers can build with it.
>            rust devices have -x-device or -rust-device CLI flags for
>            runtime selection.
>
>    - 10.x  rust devices feature complete and migration compatible, enabled
>            by default when rust compiler detected. No CLI selection
>            required as legacy portions won't be built. Any partial
>            conversions should be behind --enable-prototype-rust configure
>            flag.
>
>    - 11.x  distros have enough infrastructure to build on supported
>            platforms. Rust becomes a mandatory dependency, old C versions
>            of converted code removed from build.
>
>    - xx.y  QEMU becomes a pure native rust program and all C is expunged.
>            We may never get to this point.
>
>  We should publish the intention and the road map prominently although it
>  was unclear if a blog post would be the best place vs expanding a
>  section in the developers manual. Perhaps both make sense with a blog
>  post for the statement of intent and rough timeline and the developer
>  manual being expanded with any new rules and standards to follow?
>
>  FreeBSD is Tier 1 in rust only for amd64 (x86_64). It's Tier 2 for i386
> (which
>  admittedly is going away) and Tier 3 for everything else.
>
> oops, I should have said it's Tier 2 with hosts for amd64, Tier 2 w/o hosts
> and
> tier 3 for aarch64 (and everything else). In FreeBSD, amd64 and aarch64 are
> tier 1 supported platforms and I got those confused. It is an important
> difference
> and later in my email I refer to it, so I thought a correction was in
> order.

Are there any other big projects coming down the line that have
indicated a need for rust support? Obviously you don't have to worry
about the Linux kernel but I wonder how much rust userspace you
currently have packaged? Do you have the rust-vmm vhost-device binaries
for example?

--
Alex Bennée
Virtualisation Tech Lead @ Linaro