Am 22.09.2026 um 22:17 hat Marc-André Lureau geschrieben:
> Hi,
> 
> This series migrates all qemu-iotests away from HMP, so that the test
> framework no longer depends on it and can execute with --disable-hmp.
> This can simplify the tests, as they don't need to check/grep on stdout,
> HMP & QMP but can rely increasingly on QMP alone.

Hm... Doesn't this mean that HMP loses all of its test coverage? I don't
feel that's a good idea.

Most tests are based on diffing stdout anyway, so I don't expect this
removal simplifies them much. I'll have to look at the individual
patches, but I'd rather expect that their output becomes harder to read
instead.

What are the general plans with HMP? Are we expecting most builds to
have HMP disabled in the future? (Why? It's useful for human users.)

I think most tests probably combine testing the HMP interface with
testing the backend functionality. If we really expect missing HMP to be
a relevant case in the future, these parts need to be separated so that
the backend test can run with QMP only while the HMP interface tests run
only when HMP is available.

Not sure how this is best done without effectively running all tests
twice. Maybe there is a middle ground of converting some tests to QMP
and making other tests explicitgly depend on HMP (i.e. they are skipped
if HMP isn't available).

Kevin


Reply via email to