Il 23/11/2012 18:12, Andreas Färber ha scritto:
> We have not yet started using the in-place mechanism much (i440fx and
> prep_pci patches, not in master; also my tegra branch), so I would like
> to keep this for symmetry with "initialize" vs. "new" and their
> distinguished semantics.

But you do not need it anymore.  When the last reference disappears,
everything is finalized.  So you just use ref/unref.  Delete is simply
unparent+unref, and applies just as well to objects that were
initialized in place.

The point of patch 3 is to get rid of the distinction between initialize
and new.  That distinction just shouldn't be there if you have reference
counting.

> It is not a bugfix anyway, so not needed for 1.3.

Fair enough.

Paolo