On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 5:54 PM, Peter Maydell <peter.mayd...@linaro.org>wrote:

> On 21 February 2014 21:41, Jobin Raju George <jobin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > To fix this issue:
> >
> > I cloned dtc from its repository and extracted the tarball to qemu/dtc/.
>
> Why not just do the git submodule command that the error message
> from configure suggests? You don't need to manually stick the tarball
> into the qemu tree like this.
>
> When I did just that, it said it was not a git repository and returned
this error:

fatal: Not a git repository (or any parent up to mount point /home)
Stopping at filesystem boundary (GIT_DISCOVERY_ACROSS_FILESYSTEM not set).

So, the easiest way out, I believe was to clone it from its repositories.
Please let me
know the drawbacks of doing this.

> > The problem was qemu tries to search for dtc binaries in qemu/dtc. Even
> if
> > you have installed dtc using sudo apt-get install device-tree-compiler,
> you
> > will get the above error(mentioned in the question), so you probably
> need to
> > have the binaries in qemu/dtc
>
> (1) You need the development libraries and headers, which for
> Ubuntu are in "libfdt-dev", not "device-tree-compiler".
> (2) If the system libfdt isn't sufficiently new/correctly built
> we won't use it (in particular it has to provide /usr/include/libfdt_env.h)

I had installed libfdt-dev using apt-get but even that did not work, it
returned the same error.

--

Thanks and regards,

Jobin Raju George