Hello,

On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 11:43 AM, Anshul Makkar <
anshul.mak...@profitbricks.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are also trying to develop a solution where we can implement the switch
> in the user mode (thinking of using VDE) and then rdma packet directly to
> other end without involving the kernel layers. Is the above solution/patch
> series implements that using Snabbswitch ethernet switch .

This solution targets sharing the virtio virtqueues with a user-space
process. Snabbswitch is a user of vhost-user, but the protocol should be
adoptable by other projects too. Patch 16 adds a protocol description
document that can be used as a reference.

> Confused here, please can you share your thoughts.

All the the code and discussions are publicly available.

> [...]
>>       Refactor virtio-net to use generic get_vhost_net
>>       vhost_net_init will use VhostNetOptions to get all its arguments
>>       Add vhost_ops to vhost_dev struct and replace all relevant ioctls
>>       Add vhost-backend and VhostBackendType
>>       Add vhost-user as a vhost backend.
>>       vhost-net: vhost-user feature bits support
>>       Add new vhost-user netdev backend
>>       Add the vhost-user netdev backend to the command line
>>       Add vhost-user protocol documentation
>>       libqemustub: add stubs to be able to use qemu-char.c
>>       Add qtest for vhost-user
>>

>>  docs/specs/vhost-user.txt         |  261 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>>  hmp-commands.hx                   |    4
>>  hw/net/vhost_net.c                |  228 +++++++++++++++++--------
>>  hw/net/virtio-net.c               |   29 +--
>>  hw/scsi/vhost-scsi.c              |   45 +++--
>>  hw/virtio/Makefile.objs           |    2
>>  hw/virtio/vhost-backend.c         |   71 ++++++++
>>  hw/virtio/vhost-user.c            |  342
>> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>>  hw/virtio/vhost.c                 |   82 ++++++---
>>  include/hw/virtio/vhost-backend.h |   38 ++++
>>  include/hw/virtio/vhost.h         |   13 +
>>  include/net/vhost-user.h          |   17 ++
>>  include/net/vhost_net.h           |   11 +
>>  include/sysemu/char.h             |   44 +++++
>>  include/sysemu/kvm.h              |   11 +
>>  kvm-all.c                         |    4
>>  kvm-stub.c                        |    1
>>  net/Makefile.objs                 |    2
>>  net/clients.h                     |    3
>>  net/hub.c                         |    1
>>  net/net.c                         |   25 ++-
>>  net/tap.c                         |   18 ++
>>  net/vhost-user.c                  |  265 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>>  qapi-schema.json                  |   19 ++
>>  qemu-char.c                       |  277 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++---
>>  qemu-options.hx                   |   18 ++
>>  stubs/Makefile.objs               |    8 +
>>  stubs/bdrv-commit-all.c           |    7 +
>>  stubs/chr-msmouse.c               |    7 +
>>  stubs/get-next-serial.c           |    3
>>  stubs/is-daemonized.c             |    7 +
>>  stubs/machine-init-done.c         |    6 +
>>  stubs/monitor-init.c              |    6 +
>>  stubs/notify-event.c              |    6 +
>>  stubs/vc-init.c                   |    7 +
>>  tests/Makefile                    |    4
>>  tests/vhost-user-test.c           |  312
>> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>>  create mode 100644 docs/specs/vhost-user.txt
>>  create mode 100644 hw/virtio/vhost-backend.c
>>  create mode 100644 hw/virtio/vhost-user.c
>>  create mode 100644 include/hw/virtio/vhost-backend.h
>>  create mode 100644 include/net/vhost-user.h
>>  create mode 100644 net/vhost-user.c
>>  create mode 100644 stubs/bdrv-commit-all.c
>>  create mode 100644 stubs/chr-msmouse.c
>>  create mode 100644 stubs/get-next-serial.c
>>  create mode 100644 stubs/is-daemonized.c
>>  create mode 100644 stubs/machine-init-done.c
>>  create mode 100644 stubs/monitor-init.c
>>  create mode 100644 stubs/notify-event.c
>>  create mode 100644 stubs/vc-init.c
>>  create mode 100644 tests/vhost-user-test.c

regards,
Nikolay Nikolaev