On 02/10/2010 06:35 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> On 02/10/2010 10:00 AM, Alexander Graf wrote:
>
>> On PPC the bitmap is Little Endian.
>>

> Out of curiousity, why? It seems like an odd interface.

Exactly this issue. If you specify it as unsigned long native endian,
there is ambiguity between 32-bit and 64-bit userspace. If you specify
it as uint64_t native endian, you have an inefficient implementation on
32-bit userspace. So we went for unsigned byte native endian, which is
the same as any size little endian.

(well I think the real reason is that it just grew that way out of x86,
but the above is quite plausible).