Hi,

I am developing an application that is using vhost-user backend for packet
transfer.

The architecture:

1) VM1 is using Vhost-user and executing on server1.

".qemu-system-x86_64 -m 1024 -mem-path /dev/hugepages,prealloc=on,share=on
-drive
file=/home/amakkar/test.img,if=none,id=drive-virtio-disk0,format=raw,cache=none,aio=native
-device
virtio-blk-pci,bus=pci.0,drive=drive-virtio-disk0,id=virtio-disk0,bootindex=2
-vga std -vnc 0.0.0.0:3 -netdev
type=vhost-user,id=net0,file=/home/amakkar/qemu.sock -device
virtio-net-pci,netdev=net0"

2) App1 on server1: executing in user-mode connects with vhost-user backend
over qemu.sock. As expected, initialization is done and guest addresses
including addresses of descriptor ring , available ring and used ring and
mapped to my userspace app and I can directly access them.

I launch PACKETH on VM1 and transfer some packets using eth0 on VM1 (packet
transfer uses virtio-net backend. ifconfig eth0 shows correct TX stats)

In App1 I directly access the avail_ring buffer and consume the packet and
then I do RDMA transfer to server 2 .

3) VM2 and App2 executing on server2 and again using VHost-User.

App2: Vring initializations are successfully done and vring buffers are
mapped. I get the buffer from App1 and now *I want to transfer this buffer
(Raw packet) to VM2.*

To transfer the buffer from App2 to VM2, I directly access the descriptor
ring, place the buffer in it and update the available index and then issue
the kick.

code snippet for it:

dest_buf = (void *)handler->map_handler(handler->context, desc[a_idx].addr);
memcpy(dest_buf + hdr_len, buf, size);
avail->ring[avail->idx % num] = a_idx;
avail->idx++;
fprintf(stdout, "put_vring, synching memory \n");
sync_shm(dest_buf, size);
sync_shm((void *)&(avail), sizeof(struct vring_avail));

kick(&vhost_user->vring_table, rx_idx);

But the buffer never reaches to VM2. (I do ifconfig eth0 in VM2 and RX
stats are 0)

Please can you share if my approach is correct in transferring the packet
from App2 to VM. Can I directly place the buffer in descriptor ring and
issue a kick to notify virtio-net that a packet is available or you can
smell some implementation problem.

Thanks
Anshul Makkar