qemu-kvm.h references CPUState and includes cpu.h, so with the latest
changes all files that include qemu-kvm.h break, even if they don't require
qemu-kvm.h.  With this patch they instead get the opaque definition via
hw/hw.h (which includes cpu-common.h), and qemu-kvm.h can avoid including
cpu.h.

This is why I added #ifndef NEED_CPU_H to kvm.h.

Yes, but adding NEED_CPU_H everywhere is just as bad, or worse.

  Another example is the new apic.h file created by Blue Swirl.  It
references CPUState.  It includes apic_get_irq_delivered, so I placed
apic_set_irq_delivered there too.  But apic_set_irq_delivered is used by
i8259.c which is compiled once.

But i8259.c is compiled per target, grep Makefile.target?

Hmm, that was something else, but apic.h was it. :-)

Paolo