On 09/02/2010 06:39 PM, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
On Thu, Sep 02, 2010 at 06:24:25PM +0300, Avi Kivity wrote:
That's not a practical long term solution.  Eventually everything
gets turned on.
That's why I wanted a simple !iommu check and fallback.
This way unless it's really used there's no overhead.

It's not very different from an indirect function call. Modern branch predictors store the target function address and supply it ahead of time.

I've never seen a function call instruction in a profile.