I'm new here and exploring options for a product I'm tasked to build.
I need to create a virtual machine appliance (guest: linux, host: win xp/vista/7). I must minimize the install process as much as possible.

Installing Qemu + appliance VM as two separate install processes is too much for the end user. I need to have no host reboots and the end user would be incapability of answering questions about their networking. The only thing I can assume is the windows host has a working connect to the Internet. The guest vm does not need to communicate with the host. The vm simply needs Internet access. Which networking options should I be looking into in this case? The docs @ http://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Networking don't tell me enough to know which road to go down.

I would ideally like a single EXE, "zero-install" solution. Also acceptable is unpacking a zip into a directory and having the entire solution self contained.

Any advice as I go down this road? Is there an example of an appliance doing something similar I can study?

thanks, Jon