Here you go ...
qemu-system-arm -serial stdio -nographic -M versatilepb -kernel
zImage-2.6.34-r4-qemuarm.bin -hda
minimal-console-image-eglibc-ipk-dev-snapshot-20101110-qemuarm.rootfs.ext3
-append "root=/dev/sda"

And the output ...
chardev: opening backend "stdio" failed
qemu: could not open serial device 'stdio': Inappropriate ioctl for device

Thoughts?

Thanks!