Well the make ran for a while and then stopped here:

root@hemlock:~/qemu-5.0.0# gmake -j16
  CC      util/bitops.o
util/qemu-openpty.c:56:12: error: static declaration of
\u2018openpty\u2019 follows non-static declaration
 static int openpty(int *amaster, int *aslave, char *name,
            ^~~~~~~
In file included from /usr/include/termios.h:8:0,
                 from util/qemu-openpty.c:48:
/usr/include/sys/termios.h:538:12: note: previous declaration of
\u2018openpty\u2019 was here
 extern int openpty(int *, int *, char *, struct termios *, struct
winsize *);
            ^~~~~~~
gmake: *** [/export/home/denber/qemu-5.0.0/rules.mak:69:
util/qemu-openpty.o] Error 1

Interestingly, I ran across this openpty issue last year while building
QEMU 2.12 in Solaris 10, here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/qemu/+bug/1777252

It looks like the change to fix that issue (missing openpty in Solaris)
is having some trouble.  I'm not a good enough C programmer to figure it
out.  Remove the openpty declaration from util/openpty.c perhaps?

            - Michele