On Tue, Nov 3, 2020 at 11:02 AM Jason Wang <jasow...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 2020/11/3 上午2:51, Andrew Melnychenko wrote:
> > Basic idea is to use eBPF to calculate and steer packets in TAP.
> > RSS(Receive Side Scaling) is used to distribute network packets to guest
> virtqueues
> > by calculating packet hash.
> > eBPF RSS allows us to use RSS with vhost TAP.
> >
> > This set of patches introduces the usage of eBPF for packet steering
> > and RSS hash calculation:
> > * RSS(Receive Side Scaling) is used to distribute network packets to
> > guest virtqueues by calculating packet hash
> > * eBPF RSS suppose to be faster than already existing 'software'
> > implementation in QEMU
> > * Additionally adding support for the usage of RSS with vhost
> >
> > Supported kernels: 5.8+
> >
> > Implementation notes:
> > Linux TAP TUNSETSTEERINGEBPF ioctl was used to set the eBPF program.
> > Added eBPF support to qemu directly through a system call, see the
> > bpf(2) for details.
> > The eBPF program is part of the qemu and presented as an array of bpf
> > instructions.
> > The program can be recompiled by provided Makefile.ebpf(need to adjust
> > 'linuxhdrs'),
> > although it's not required to build QEMU with eBPF support.
> > Added changes to virtio-net and vhost, primary eBPF RSS is used.
> > 'Software' RSS used in the case of hash population and as a fallback
> option.
> > For vhost, the hash population feature is not reported to the guest.
> >
> > Please also see the documentation in PATCH 6/6.
> >
> > I am sending those patches as RFC to initiate the discussions and get
> > feedback on the following points:
> > * Fallback when eBPF is not supported by the kernel
>

> Yes, and it could also a lacking of CAP_BPF.
>

> > * Live migration to the kernel that doesn't have eBPF support
>

> Is there anything that we needs special treatment here?
>
> Possible case: rss=on, vhost=on, source system with kernel 5.8 (everything
works) -> dest. system 5.6 (bpf does not work), the adapter functions, but
all the steering does not use proper queues.

> > * Integration with current QEMU build
>

> Yes, a question here:
>
> 1) Any reason for not using libbpf, e.g it has been shipped with some
> distros

We intentionally do not use libbpf, as it present only on some distros.
We can switch to libbpf, but this will disable bpf if libbpf is not
installed

> 2) It would be better if we can avoid shipping bytecodes

This creates new dependencies: llvm + clang + ...
We would prefer byte code and ability to generate it if prerequisites are
installed.

> > * Additional usage for eBPF for packet filtering
>

> Another interesting topics in to implement mac/vlan filters. And in the
> future, I plan to add mac based steering. All of these could be done via
> eBPF.

No problem, we can cooperate if needed

> > Know issues:
> > * hash population not supported by eBPF RSS: 'software' RSS used
>

> Is this because there's not way to write to vnet header in STERRING BPF?
>
> Yes. We plan to submit changes for kernel to cooperate with BPF and
populate the hash, this work is in progress

> > as a fallback, also, hash population feature is not reported to guests
> > with vhost.
> > * big-endian BPF support: for now, eBPF is disabled for big-endian
> systems.
>

> Are there any blocker for this?

No, can be added in v2