Hi

On Fri, Sep 17, 2021 at 1:19 PM Cornelia Huck <coh...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 17 2021, David Gibson <da...@gibson.dropbear.id.au> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > At the qemu-in-rust BoF at KVM Forum, I volunteered to look into
> > whether Rust supported all the host/build platforms that qemu does,
> > which is obviously vital if we want to make Rust a non-optional
> > component of the build.
> >
> > I've added the information to our wiki at:
> >       https://wiki.qemu.org/RustInQemu
>
> Thank you for doing that!

Yes, the condensed coloured matrix is much more readable than the Rust long
list. I wonder if they would also adopt it :)

> > TBH, the coverage is not as good as I expected.  Linux, macOS and
> > Windows are pretty much ok, with the exception of Linux on Sparc.
> > There are a lot of gaps in *BSD support, however.
>
> Yes :(

Can we say reasonably that QEMU is supported on *BSD other than x86 (and
aarch64?), I wonder. Maybe we should consider moving those under the
unsupported rank.

> Do we actually have an idea what we would require? I'm surprised that
> there are so many targets without host tools or without std support (but
> maybe they are only missing small things.)

For sparc 32, it was added to support Gentoo at that time which didn't
switch to 64-bit yet (https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/pull/48297)

For the past 2-3y, Gentoo sparc is now 64 bit. (like Debian apparently for
a while)

But apparently, by lack of CI it was downgraded to Tier-3.

Is it reasonable to officially drop support for sparc 32 in QEMU too?

> > I've included some notes on where the information comes from, and some
> > uncertainties in there.
> >
> > I've made an effort to get the information correct, but double
> > checking would be appreciated.
>
> I did not spot any errors on a quick cross check, but I'm not really
> sure about what the BSDs support.
>

> > I haven't yet looked into the packaging situation for the Rust
> > toolchain on various platforms and distros, but I still intend to do
> > so.

I would share our wiki page on r/rust if you don't mind, as there are
various people that can help us fill the gaps I think.

Thanks

--
Marc-André Lureau