"Michael S. Tsirkin" <m...@redhat.com> writes:

> On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 05:04:57PM +0530, Viresh Kumar wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> This patchset adds vhost-user-gpio device's support in Qemu. The support for
>> the
>> same has already been added to virtio specification and Linux Kernel.
>>
>> A Rust based backend is also in progress and is tested against this patchset:
>>
>> https://github.com/rust-vmm/vhost-device/pull/76
>

> I'm reluctant to add this with no tests in tree.
> Want to write a minimal libhost-user based backend?

This is going to be a problem going forward as we have more out-of-tree
backends written as a first preference. While the first couple of vhost
devices have C implementations in contrib before we worked on the rust
version I think we are getting to the point of skipping a first C
version for future devices.

However I notice we have qtest/vhost-user-test.c so would that be enough
to ensure we can instantiate the device and a basic vhost-user
initialisation sequence doesn't cause it to crap out. This obviously
won't be exercising the virtq processing itself but does that really
exercise any of QEMU's boilerplate anyway?

> We also need some maintainers to step up.

You mean more reviewers for the vhost and virtio sections of QEMU's
maintainers?

--
Alex Bennée