On 15/2/22 11:19, Damien Hedde wrote:
Hi,

I'm wondering if there are rules or convention about what we put in the instance_init() vs realize() for simple devices ? (For complex ones we generally have no choice to put everything in realize())

See Peter's recommendations here:
https://www.mail-archive.com/qemu-devel@nongnu.org/msg723958.html

For example we can declare irqs and mmios in instance_init() or realize() if they do not depend on some property.

This is not a big deal, but given how works the help message generation in the monitor, there are difference if the device is user-creatable.

If we leave irqs and mmios declaration in the instance_init(). They appear in the help message.
 > (qemu) device_add ibex-timer,help
 > ibex-timer options:
 >   ibex-timer[0]=<child<memory-region>>
 >   sysbus-irq[0]=<link<irq>>
 >   timebase-freq=<uint32> -  (default: 10000)

If we delay the declaration in realize(), we only have the declared qdev-properties (which is maybe more what we expect at this point):

 > (qemu) device_add ibex-timer,help
 > ibex-timer options:
 >   timebase-freq=<uint32> -  (default: 10000)

Any comments ?

Thanks,
Damien