On 16/02/2022 12.01, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
* Gerd Hoffmann (kra...@redhat.com) wrote:
   Hi,
Given the semantic differences from 'i440fx', changing the default
machine type has effects that are equivalent to breaking command
line syntax compatibility, which is something we've always tried
to avoid.

And if we are fine breaking backward compatibility I'd rather *not* pick
a default, effectively making -M $something mandatory, similar to arm.

Oh, that's probably easy to do;  what are other peoples thoughts on
that?

I agree with Gerd. Getting rid of a default machine on x86 is likely better than silently changing it to q35. But I'd maybe say that this should go through the deprecation process first?

 Thomas