Hi Max,

On Thu, Apr 21, 2022, at 1:56 PM, Max Filippov wrote:

> An update to target/xtensa/cores.list is needed for this core to be built
> in qemu-6.2+. Please keep that file alphabetically sorted.

sounds great, thank you for the review!!! Will send out v2 soon.

> I'm curious how is it supposed to be used?

It's for a (future...) Lisp compiler! Somewhat in the style of MicroPython; the
idea is to make code editable on the fly, without reflashing (... or
restarting, even). Given how it's one person's side project (mine), it's a lot
closer to a (not-even-self-hosting) lispy-syntax lx106 assembler (... written
in Common Lisp) at this point though.

Specifically, qemu is being used for testing code generation; within test
cases, we generate an object file, link it up into an ELF image, launch it
under qemu & check the output. Current top achievement: a loop that iterates 10
times and quits successfully, by using the emulated syscall interface. Even so,
having actual test cases for this (& occasionally attaching gdb to them) is
really useful.

(Admittedly, I can't really think of a lot of other use cases; probably
everyone else is just using the official C toolchain?)

Simon