On 02/24/2012 01:02 PM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
Hi all,

a few weeks ago Stefan Hajnoczi pointed me to his work on virtio-blk
performance.

Stefan's work had two sides.  First, he captured very nice performance
data of the block layer at
http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Virtio/Block/Latency; second, in order to
measure peak performance, he basically implemented "vhost-blk" in
userspace.

I don't think the improvements here have anything to do with the block layer.

We've done the same thing with virtio-net and saw impressive performance results as a consequence. Conversely, we see a similar improvement by applying the same technique to vhost-net.

Virtio really wants each virtqueue to be processed in a separate thread. On a multicore system, there's considerable improvement doing this.

I think that's where we ought to start. We really just need the block layer to be re-entrant, we don't actually need qcow2 or anything else that uses coroutines to use full threads.

Or at least, as far as I know, we don't have any performance data to suggest that we do.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori