On Tue, 26 Sept 2023 at 15:42, Paolo Bonzini <pbonz...@redhat.com> wrote:

> A new enough libfdt is included in all of Debian 11, Ubuntu 20.04
> and MSYS2.  It has also been included for several minor releases
> in Fedora and openSUSE Leap, as well as in CentOS.  Therefore
> there is no need anymore to ship the sources together with the QEMU
> tarballs.
>
> Keep the wrap file so that it can be used with --enable-download,
> but do not ship the sources anymore with either archive-source.sh
> or make-release.

Can you explain this use case in a little more detail? I'm
clear on the two poles of:
 (1) dependency isn't in all our supported distros, so we need
     to provide sources and handle building it ourselves
 (2) dependency is in all our supported distros, so we don't
     need any special support because meson will find the
     system library and headers

but I'm not sure when we'd want something in the middle, which
is what this sounds like?

thanks
-- PMM