On 10/9/2023 5:13 PM, Hanna Czenczek wrote:
External email: Use caution opening links or attachments

On 09.10.23 11:07, Hanna Czenczek wrote:
On 09.10.23 10:21, Hanna Czenczek wrote:
On 07.10.23 04:22, Yajun Wu wrote:
[...]

The main motivation of adding VHOST_USER_SET_STATUS is to let
backend DPDK know
when DRIVER_OK bit is valid. It's an indication of all VQ
configuration has sent,
otherwise DPDK has to rely on first queue pair is ready, then
receiving/applying
VQ configuration one by one.

During live migration, configuring VQ one by one is very time
consuming.
One question I have here is why it wasn’t then introduced in the live
migration code, but in the general VM stop/cont code instead. It does
seem time-consuming to do this every time the VM is paused and resumed.

Yes, VM stop/cont will call vhost_net_stop/vhost_net_start. Maybe because there's no device level stop/cont vhost message?

For VIRTIO
net vDPA, HW needs to know how many VQs are enabled to set
RSS(Receive-Side Scaling).

If you don’t want SET_STATUS message, backend can remove protocol
feature bit
VHOST_USER_PROTOCOL_F_STATUS.
The problem isn’t back-ends that don’t want the message, the problem
is that qemu uses the message wrongly, which prevents well-behaving
back-ends from implementing the message.

DPDK is ignoring SET_STATUS 0, but using GET_VRING_BASE to do device
close/reset.
So the right thing to do for back-ends is to announce STATUS support
and then not implement it correctly?

GET_VRING_BASE should not reset the close or reset the device, by the
way.  It should stop that one vring, not more.  We have a
RESET_DEVICE command for resetting.
I believe dpdk uses GET_VRING_BASE long before qemu has RESET_DEVICE? It's a compatible issue. For new backend implements, we can have better solution, right?
I'm not involved in discussion about adding SET_STATUS in Vhost
protocol. This feature
is essential for vDPA(same as vhost-vdpa implements
VHOST_VDPA_SET_STATUS).
So from what I gather from your response is that there is only a
single use for SET_STATUS, which is the DRIVER_OK bit.  If so,
documenting that all other bits are to be ignored by both back-end
and front-end would be fine by me.

I’m not fully serious about that suggestion, but I hear the strong
implication that nothing but DRIVER_OK was of any concern, and this
is really important to note when we talk about the status of the
STATUS feature in vhost today.  It seems to me now that it was not
intended to be the virtio-level status byte, but just a DRIVER_OK
signalling path from front-end to back-end.  That makes it a
vhost-level protocol feature to me.
On second thought, it just is a pure vhost-level protocol feature, and
has nothing to do with the virtio status byte as-is.  The only stated
purpose is for the front-end to send DRIVER_OK after migration, but
migration is transparent to the guest, so the guest would never change
the status byte during migration.  Therefore, if this feature is
essential, we will never be able to have a status byte that is
transparently shared between guest and back-end device, i.e. the
virtio status byte.
On third thought, scratch that.  The guest wouldn’t set it, but
naturally, after migration, the front-end will need to restore the
status byte from the source, so the front-end will always need to set
it, even if it were otherwise used controlled only by the guest and the
back-end device.  So technically, this doesn’t prevent such a use case.
(In practice, it isn’t controlled by the guest right now, but that could
be fixed.)
I only tested the feature with DPDK(the only backend use it today?). Max defined the protocol and added the corresponding code in DPDK before I added QEMU support. If other backend or different device type want to use this, we can have further discussion?
Cc-ing Alex on this mail, because to me, this seems like an important
detail when he plans on using the byte in the future. If we need a
virtio status byte, I can’t see how we could use the existing F_STATUS
for it.

Hanna