Fabiano Rosas <faro...@suse.de> wrote:
> Juan Quintela <quint...@redhat.com> writes:
>
>> Fabiano Rosas <faro...@suse.de> wrote:
>>> Juan Quintela <quint...@redhat.com> writes:
>>>

>> This is a common pattern for concurrency.  To not have your mutex locked
>> too long, you put a variable (that can only be tested/changed with the
>> lock) to explain that the "channel" is busy, the struct that lock
>> protects is not (see how we make sure that the channel don't use any
>> variable of the struct without the locking).
>
> Sure, but what purpose is to mark the channel as busy? The migration
> thread cannot access the p->packet anyway. From multifd_send_pages()
> perspective, as soon as the channel releases the lock to start with the
> IO, the packet has been sent. It could start preparing the next pages
> struct while the channel is doing IO. No?

ok, we remove the pending.
Then we are sending that packet.

But see what happens on multifd_send_pages()

channels_ready is 0.
this is channel 1
next_channel == 1
channel 0 gets ready, so it increases channels_ready.

static int multifd_send_pages(QEMUFile *f)
{

    qemu_sem_wait(&multifd_send_state->channels_ready);
    // we pass this

    next_channel %= migrate_multifd_channels();
    for (i = next_channel;; i = (i + 1) % migrate_multifd_channels()) {
        p = &multifd_send_state->params[i];

        // remember that i == 0

        qemu_mutex_lock(&p->mutex);
        if (p->quit) {
            error_report("%s: channel %d has already quit!", __func__, i);
            qemu_mutex_unlock(&p->mutex);
            return -1;
        }
        if (!p->pending_job) {
            p->pending_job++;
            next_channel = (i + 1) % migrate_multifd_channels();
            break;
        }
        qemu_mutex_unlock(&p->mutex);

// We choose 1, to send the packet through it.
// channel 1 is busy.
// channel 0 is idle but receives no work.
    }
}

So the variable is there to differentiate what channels are busy/idle to
send the work to the idle channels.

> We don't touch p after the IO aside from p->pending_jobs-- and we
> already distribute the load uniformly by incrementing next_channel.

I know.  After multifd_send_threads() releases the mutex it will only
touch ->pending_job (taking the mutex 1st).

> I'm not saying this would be more performant, just wondering if it would
> be possible.

Yeap, but as said before quite suboptimal.

>> As said, we don't want that.  Because channels can go a different speeds
>> due to factors outside of our control.
>>
>> If the semaphore bothers you, you can change it to to a condition
>> variable, but you just move the complexity from one side to the other
>> (Initial implementation had a condition variable, but Paolo said that
>> the semaphore is more efficient, so he won)
>
> Oh, it doesn't bother me. I'm just trying to unequivocally understand
> it's effects. And if it logically follows that it's not necessary, only
> then remove it.

Both channels_ready and pending_job makes the scheme more performant.
Without them it will not fail, just work way slower.

In the example that just showed you, if we started always from channel 0
to search for a idle channel, we would even do worse (that would be an
actual error):

start with channels_ready == 0;
channels_ready is 0.
channel 1 gets ready, so it increases channels_ready.

static int multifd_send_pages(QEMUFile *f)
{
    qemu_sem_wait(&multifd_send_state->channels_ready);
    // we pass this

    for (i = 0;; i = (i + 1) % migrate_multifd_channels()) {
        p = &multifd_send_state->params[i];

        // remember that i == 0

        qemu_mutex_lock(&p->mutex);
        if (p->quit) {
            error_report("%s: channel %d has already quit!", __func__, i);
            qemu_mutex_unlock(&p->mutex);
            return -1;
        }
        if (!p->pending_job) {
            p->pending_job++;
            next_channel = (i + 1) % migrate_multifd_channels();
            break;
        }
        // As there is no test to see if this is idle, we put the page here
        qemu_mutex_unlock(&p->mutex);

        // We put here the page info
    }
}

channel 2 guest ready, so it increses channels_ready

[...]

        // channel 0 is still transmitting the 1st page
        // And overwrote the previous page info
   }
}

In this particular case, using next_channel in round robin would have
saved the case.  When you put info for a channel to consume
asynhronously, you need to mark somehow that the channel has finished to
use the data before ordering it to put do more job.

We can changing pending_job to a bool if you preffer.  I think that we
have nailed all the off_by_one errors by now (famous last words).

Later, Juan.