Thomas Huth:

> I had a quick look, but if I got this right, 1366x768 is
> not a mode that fits into the standard EDID information,
> since 1366 is not dividable by 8.

Thank you very much Thomas.  That also explains why get-
edid(1) does not work on this laptop.

> See also
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_Display_Identification_Data#Limitations
> for some more information.

It says:

   For 1366x768 pixel Wide XGA panels the nearest resolution
   expressible in the EDID standard timing descriptor syntax
   is 1360x765 pixels, typically leading to 3 pixel thin
   black bars.

I can live with 3-pixel black bars, if QEMU will only enter
a corresponding full-screen mode.  What I cannot live with,
is a scaled image with intepolative blur or other artefacts.

> I assume you'd need a special driver in the guest to force
> that display mode - but I've got no clue whether that
> exists for the graphic cards that QEMU emulates.

At least I now have something to look for.

> You could maybe try "-device qxl-vga" or "-device vmware-
> svga" with the corresponding drivers in the guest ... they
> might be able to support the 1366x768 resolution.

OK.