> If you're directing a guest's terminal to the console then things
> like line wrapping are entirely up to the guest -- QEMU is
> providing the equivalent of a piece of hardware like a serial
> terminal, and how the guest chooses to write to it is up to
> the guest's serial drivers and TTY layer. So it's the guest's
> settings that control eg truncation vs wrapping.

No, QEMU is clearly sending some kind of control codes to the terminal which
are resetting my Xterm to crazy defaults. This happens immediately on poweron,
before the guest OS has even loaded. Same thing for a telnet connection;
control codes are transmitted first thing which screws up Xterm. If I suspend
telnet to the background, issue a terminal reset, then resume, the output is
fixed.