Frantisek Rysanek

> Oh I see. You're saying that
> -drive ...,discard=ignore
> Does not prevent Windows (guest OS) from trying the
> discard=trim=unmap on the virtio disk device, merely those operations
> get ignored by QEMU.
> Thus, Windows thinks it's trimming, while in reality it's just
> wasting time on void request+response transactions...
> You're saying that apparently, virtio-blk or virtio-scsi still
> advertise the availability of that command (via SCSI INQUIRY / Vital
> Product Data / LBPU bit), or Windows understand that this is a virtio
> drive and just assumes that discard is available...

  Yes that is what I mean. qemu advertises the discard feature to upper vm.
the driver follows the advertisements(unless you use a very old driver) .
so both windows and linux think they can trim.
I think windows hurts more since linux didn't do disk optimization
automatically by default.

> Hmm. I've just tried googling, if there's a way to do SCSI Command
> pass-through from the guest OS to the host-side physical SCSI device
> (should also work for SATA, if I understand correctly).
> Here is what I've found:
> https://gist.github.com/amshinde/b9b2763cb3f6752508ca522f41b583ca
> i.e. it's three cmdline args to qemu-system: 1x -drive + 2x -device.
>
> Personally I've never done this.
> I always just specify the device node for a "file" in "raw" mode.
>
> Also, I'd expect that the SCSI command passthrough could actually be
> slower for routine operation, because it doesn't make use of the
> block-level cache integrated with the host's (HV's) memory
> management...
>
> I still think the SCSI or IDE style emulated controller might just do
> the trick, but I have no clue if your RedHat build of QEMU still
> offers those options.
> In Debian, I tend to compile my own from upstream source code,
> because the distro package tends to be old and lack recent features.
> Fortunately my machines using qemu are on the experimental side :-)
> and can take a bit of punk / no harm done if something doesn't work.

Thanks for the info. I will try it when I have time. but in reality I won't
use sata or ide for the vm.
I  run qemu directly for checking/debugging the vm situation. but for daily
usage I still use libvirt to manage vm.