Thanks Marco, that worked!

I first create a symbol using
        self.symbol = QgsLineSymbolV2()
And then I can edit it using
        QgsSymbolV2PropertiesDialog(self.symbol,self.layer).exec_()

There is only one concern, the rubber band does not accept a full symbol, only a width and a color. Is there a reason for that?

BTW, I just applied to this list, and I don't really know how to answer emails as I checked the daily digest option. Does anyone has a tip?

Thanks again,
Greetings,
Denis

   Hi Denis

   You can use the class QgsSymbolV2PropertiesDialog and pass existing
   symbol and vector layer in constructor. Afaik the symbol will be changed
   directly, however it is possible to make a backup with clone().

   Regards,
   Marco