Hi all.
As you know, sextante aims at replacing most of the functions of current grass
plugin, and much more.
To achieve this, we have to solve the problem of how to use grass regions, a
very useful concept for subsetting an analysis or changing its resolution.
The current basic solution is to generate a location on the fly, at the
resolution of the input raster, run the analyses there, and export the output.
Additionally, one can "Select GRASS region on the canvas" do do subsetting.
This works fine, but current grass users cannot use their locations, their
regions and their data. I think we need more general methods for them.
Optionally reading current grass variables if a mapset is open, and reading
rasters, vectors and regions from there, could be a suitable solution.
Alternative approaches?
I also think we should use r.external instead of r.in.* to "import" rasters.
All the best.

--
Paolo Cavallini
See: http://www.faunalia.it/pc