I'm interested in at least discussing this thread going a step further, with
respect to a SpatialLite based file transfer tool for geodata.

The OGC has mandated many open standards, including SFS, which most spatial
databases are predicated on.

It is not that clear to me whether a spec for an Open File Geodatabase would be
a fit within the OGC, but I suggest it is a possibility worth considering.

The OGC has standards for spatial data management, delivery, etc, so one for
spatial data file sharing seems well within the mandate.

This would perhaps be a slower & more involved process than simply building one
for QGIS, but such a QGIS capability could be built as the reference
application.

Such a process would perhaps be OSGEO driven rather than QGIS specific, but
obviously could include appropriate QGIS team members.

Any support (or dissent) from those in the QGIS developer/user communities?