Hi Nathan,

I understand your point.

But this would require more steps: add the layer to the project, copy the features (with field mapping) and remove the layer. I see a main usage of appending to an existing layer in the import of GPS points for example. So mainly csv files.
It's true that there could be a great interest for shape files.

The point is that I can use the existing header of the table in the demilited text UI to do the field mapping. So, it should not be a great effort to do so.

It's clear that there is no a great cohesion with all these add layers dialogs and I don't want to add more confusion to this.
But is there any plan to improve this?

Denis