> > maintainance costs, for which it is always difficult to find funding.
> > We need more unit test, more code quality dashboards and much stricter
> rules
> > relative to what code has to be accepted into master.
>
> I think this is a matter of balance: a large part of QGIS success is due
> to the huge
> number of new functions and developers that keep on coming. Setting up to
> srtict
> rules will dry up our main source.

I have to respectfully disagree with the premise behind this. I'm sure
ease-of-committing has facilitated much of the development, but at a
certain point in a popular project's life it should become "mature" - unit
tests, code reviews, etc. This will make it harder to commit that cool new
tool that someone hacked up over the weekend, but you know that when it is
committed and approved, it is a lot less likely to break something else.

Yes QGIS is almost undoubtedly the most popular FOSS GIS on the planet, but
it will struggle to maintain that reputation if lots of users start
encountering regressions and bugs and crashes.

> > A PostgreSQL-like code inclusion workflow, with commitfest and review,
> could be
> > something interested, to be discussed.
>
> IMHO a desktop program is a totally different beast from a server one.
> Unit testing
> for atomic functions is relatively easy, it can be a nightmare when you
> have very
> complex user interactions.

Maybe the question should be - how do other successful Open Source desktop
applications do it? Could QGIS not find some other projects that release
regular relatively bug-free builds and ask them what their process is? QGIS
isn't the first project to encounter these problems; it can learn from
others. I don't know the answers which is why I'm posing them as questions
- but maybe someone else does.

Cheers,
Jonathan

--
This transmission is intended for the named addressee(s) only and may
contain sensitive or protectively marked material up to RESTRICTED and