I found out that the "F5" key did not work because the plugin reloader plugin also assigned the F5 key for reloading the selected plugin. I closed the bug therefore.

Andreas

BTW: I found out that the "F5" key is currently broken. It does not
reload the canvas. Here is the bug-report:
http://hub.qgis.org/issues/10777

Andreas