Hi,
I guess in a GIS oriented product
Is necessary to avoid to mix the interface characteristics (the group is an interface object) and the data characteristics (the shapefile is not an interface object).

I guess more beter if add/remove dataset is separated phisically from add/remove a group.

The dataset is a phicical think. The shapefile is using separately from the qgis project.
The group is not separately from qgis project.

I guess is good question to have a "remove group" but avoiding to have a only button "ADD Everything" or an only button "Remove everything"

Also I guess is important to help to understand when we are on dataset (physical) and when we are on interface (logical).

Regards,

A.