Hi,

I merged a commit today that fixes some problems with virtual fields, in particular a crash when removing a virtual field. As the virtual fields do not work on the data provider, they are not directly linked to edit mode being turned on. This also allows to add virtual fields on data providers that do not allow to add additional fields. This led to a change in the GUI, that you are also allowed to add fields when edit mode is turned off. I added an info, that editing mode will be turned on, when adding real (provider) fields on the add field dialog. However, I am not sure how intuitive the current behavior is. As we are approaching the final release date, I thought I'd explicitly point out this change and ask for feedback so we can take measures if there is hesitation to this approach.

Please share your impression and if you disagree with the current approach it would be highly welcome if you could outline an improved way of tackling this.

Matthias