On Mon, 23 Feb 2015, Paolo Cavallini wrote:

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 08:45:42 +0100
From: Paolo Cavallini <cavall...@faunalia.it>
To: Tom Kralidis <tomkrali...@gmail.com>
Cc: Richard Duivenvoorde <rich...@duif.net>,
    qgis-developer <qgis-developer@lists.osgeo.org>
Subject: Re: [Qgis-developer] Error in new Metasearch

Il 20/02/2015 19:11, Tom Kralidis ha scritto:

This works for me with both a fresh 2.8.0 via OSGeo4W with MetaSearch
0.3.2 default (i.e. not fetched from plugins.qgis.org) as well as a
fresh 2.8.0 via OSGeo4W with fetching the plugin from
plugins.qgis.org.  I'm able to work with the UNEP server at
http://metadata.grid.unep.ch:8080/geonetwork/srv/eng/csw as well as
http://services.grid.unep.ch:8080/geonetwork/srv/eng/csw , tested via
English and Italian locale.  Are these the servers you are working
with?

Hi Tom,
checked again, on a fresh install (2.8 on Debian Sid).
I think I found the problem: editing the connection shows that the URL
is empty. Adding the address you mention fixes it.
Unclear why the default server URL it is empty, however.
All the best, and thanks.

Hi Paolo: I was able to reproduce this.  In loading the default CSW
connections, if a CSW server name contains '/', this causes issue in the
saved settings/registry values.  I've since fixed this in master, 2.6
and 2.8 branch.

Having said this, we should add a check to prevent users adding new CSW
connection names containing a '/'.  Filed in http://hub.qgis.org/issues/12239