Awesome. Thank you.

I added the extra column to the shapefile attributes, joined the shapefile to the CSV file, and then updated the new column in my shapefile using: attribute($currentfeature,'joinedcolumn') (NOTE: single quotes for field name)

I'm sure I could have skipped the Join step and just used getfeature as suggested below, but I went the Join route anyway.

Big thanks,
Zoltan