Hi Regis,

The shapefile is obviously more fast in opne than a postgres connection.
Is due to the different need of resources.
The postgres need to assign a lot of resources for every connection that it is opening.

I do't know quite well the pgpool solution, but I guess it cannot helpyou because AFAIK it is only for dirct connection. You should set is with a fastcgis but you have heowever the problem that postgres interrupt brutally the connection after some ten of minutes without any byte exchanging with the clinet.

These mean that alsoif you use a fastcgi protocol but have a service not used for more than 30 minutes it will break connection from postgres side and so it need to restart the connection (and so take some time to do it) when the user ask for a new map.

To avoid also all these questions we use the spatialite db that is fast like a shapefile toopen and have no the problem of connection and break of connection like the postgres.

A.