On 2016-03-11 2:37 AM, Tom Chadwin wrote:
+1 for this as an issue. Adding icons to the desktop should be optional.
Also, on Windows, the OSGeo installer leaves a folder with a very
non-user-friendly name ("http%" something or other).

Hi Tom, I agree that this is an issue, an important issue for new users on Windows. This is one of those blockers for new users, something that seems minor to developers on Linux but can really set the initial impression poorly for new QGIS users on Windows. Will you file a ticket for this so we can track this change?

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/