Hi Finbar,

Expresions are using SQL (and usually are the part after the "WHERE". If you
have a point layer (in a metric KBS) you could use "Select by Expression" from
Menu -> View -> Select and put in

intersects( $geometry, buffer( geom_from_wkt( 'POINT(410611 5315209)'), 3000))

This selects all onjects of the active layer that are within a 3000m Buffer
(=circle) around the point 410611 5315209

No python programming needed!

Marco

And by the way: QGIS has a really great documentation:

http://docs.qgis.org/2.14/en/docs/user_manual/working_with_vector/expression.html
http://docs.qgis.org/2.14/en/docs/user_manual/working_with_vector/attribute_table.html