Hi

I'm doing work on the geometry checker in QGIS master and noticed that, when deleting features from an ogr vector layer, FeatureIds appear to be reassigned to fill up the gap in the ids. This is a pretty serious blocker for the geometry checker since geometry checker errors are identified by the feature id (and other parameters). So if the FeatureIds change, the geometry checker errors may suddenly reference the wrong feature, causing general mayhem.

Can anyone confirm that indeed FeatureIds are being purposefully reassigned, and whether there is a rationale behind this change (I never observed this before in QGIS 2.x)? And if so, what other options exist to reliably reference a feature over the entire lifetime of the layer being loaded in QGIS?

Note that in the geometry checker, I don't use the edit buffer, but write each change directly to the data provider. This to avoid that situations where, after fixing multiple errors, the final result cannot be committed due to a particular geometry still being invalid and the provider refusing to accept the change.

Thanks
Sandro