I'm sure sf is the future for spatial objects. There are not too many examples and resources to be found on the web still, but I ported one of my (poor scripts) from sp to sf. It's now maybe 25% of code and maybe 10 times faster. Though there are numerous packages with dependencies for sp, which will not change for a long time. I have to admit, I never managed to get R code work properly in QGIS (documentation?) but stuck to R studio and just did the post-processing within QGIS. Having the ability to work properly within QGIS would maybe boost the efficiency to a new level.