Hi All (mainly Nyall I guess)

I have been playing with atlas in QGIS 3 to make a book prototype for a map
series. In the past when I used atlas, it was just to share as a PDF or
manually print out a map series. Now I want to prepare something to send to a
printer and I realise the requirements are a little different:

* have a page for the cover outside on the left side, back cover outside on the
right
* a page with front cover inside on the left and the right
* have one or more ‘front matter pages’ with a matching back matter page for
each
* have the map series with each page having TWO maps from the map series. For
example the first page would have on the left Page 1 and on the right Page 30
(where we have a  30 area series in atlas for example). Then the next page
would have two map items : Page 2 on the left, Page 29 on the right and so on.

So I can manage a lot of this workflow by e.g. using separate composer layouts
for the front / back matter stuff. What I haven’t thought of a way to do is
having two atlas pages on the same layout.  Basically what is needed is the
ability to trigger successive increments in the atlas counter if there are two
maps (and other elements such as tables) that are controlled by atlas on the
same layout.

This is probably better explained by my diagram below:

https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/178003/40220376-34c77d00-5a79-11e8-9c09-b1b338915de5.png

So my questions are :

1) Has anyone dealt with this and if so, how did you solve it?
2) How much work would it be to enable support for this kind of work flow?
3) Are there any plans to have ‘print once’ pages in composer so that in a
layout I could have pages for front matter in ‘print once’ mode, one or more
atlas driven pages that will repeat for each atlas area, pages for back matter
in 'print once’ mode.

Basically if we had this I could make a single print-ready PDF from one layout.

Thanks!

Regards

Tim

—