By the way, the fragile code solution does not work for me. It does toggle the button but it does not activate the atlas preview.

# open layout
designer = iface.openLayoutDesigner(layout)

# turn on atlas preview mode
lo_view = designer.view()
lo_window = lo_view.window()
action = lo_window.findChild(QAction, 'mActionAtlasPreview')
action.toggle()