Il 15/07/2021 22:30, Nyall Dawson ha scritto:
I don't think that's completely correct -- looking at the freexl documentation it seems that only some xls file versions are utf8, and others have a codepage indicating the encoding which needs to be read from the xls metadata:

Yes, of course BIFF5 (and previous versions), which is used until Excel 95, stores internally the strings with a codepage based encoding, while BIFF8 (since Excel 98), stores them internally as UTF-16LE without the need of codepages.

Anyway the documentation states that: "FreeXL is intended to be strictly interoperable with SQLite and SpatiaLite, so any text string has to be converted to UTF-8 encoding. GNU libiconv can easily handle any required charset conversion. So we can simply fetch the appropriate bytes, then call iconv() as appropriate, and we'll immediately get back the corresponding UTF-8 encoded text string."

So, if I'm not mistaken, the decoding from the proper internal codec and the encoding to UTF-8 is handled by the FreeXL library for both BIFF2/BIFF5 and BIFF8. I've also tested a BIFF5 XLS using ogrinfo, and the output is UTF-8 encoded, while internally

Regards.

Andrea