Hi Nyall

I don't know if this is what you are seeking for but you will find at https://hub.docker.com/r/3liz/qgis-platform a simple image that embed the official version (release/ltr) of Qgis library (no desktop support).

That image do nothing except having a Qgis install. We use it as a base image for all other docker images that require Qgis libraries.

Sincerely

David