Hello,

I came across a strange behavior with qgis while using our corporate proxy.

We are using a proxy (http and https) that requires authentication to access
the Internet. I configured QGIS to use the proxy in the general network
settings and saved the authentication info (username/password) into the auth
database. There are two other authentication settings for external WMS content
that is only reachable through the Internet (via said proxy) in the auth
database. Whenever QGIS starts it asks for a username and password to access
the Internet although this information is already stored in the auth database.
When I enter the correct proxy credentials the external WFS content is shown
and I can see the stored configurations in the options dialog. When I don't
enter the proxy credentials or choose to skip the initial question for
credentials (there is an option to skip for 10 seconds) the external content
(WFS and News Feed) is not shown and the content of the authentication database
is also not shown in the options dialog. When editing the external WMS layer
qgis t
 ells me that the configuration is missing. Restarting and entering the correct
credentials then works again.

Several questions here: Why is there a prompt for the proxy credentials when
they are part of the authentication database? Why is the authdb not loaded when
I skip the proxy credentials prompt? Note that it is not asking for the master
password. It is specifically asking for the proxy credentials.

I specifically added the proxy credentials to the auth db so the user does not
have to enter them everytime qgis starts. We noticed this behavior in different
versions. The latest being 3.16. Since we recently had a problem accessing the
external WMS content I updated to 3.22.4 which helped me solve the problem with
SSL certificates. So kudos to the extra error message about a missing root CA
certificate in 3.22 that helped me out a lot. But unfortunately the proxy
problem described above is still present.

This is also available as a (older) github issue with steps to reproduce and
versions tested: https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/46216

--

MfG
Christian Beer