Ok, I think I found the crux!

With your code QGIS 3.26 will CREATE a new geopackage... (if it is not there
yet)
After which QGIS master is fine

BUT QGIS master apparently does NOT create a new geopackage with your code...
So IF there is an excisting test.gpkg, all is fine
IF there is not one, it depends on you QGIS version if it creates a fresh one
or not?

Maybe some core dev can say something about this?

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde